March 2, 2009

TOS, in Beta

These last few weeks have been intense.  Among the others, I've been crafting the Terms Of Use and the Privacy Policies of Ukindi.com.  Of course I started looking at other websites' TOS and PP, as a I needed a good comparable. Not so much to use the actual language (which BTW is not copyrightable, as legal language...) but mostly to understand about best practices and market trends... Of course, I chose the best moment to take over this task - the following day I finished my first draft, Facebook took down its TOS... Now they say it is because FB is a democratic SNS.  I suppose it is sort of a revolution -- when did people start actually reading the TOS?


Anyway, I am preparing a second draft... and I start thinking that I will never be actually ready with a final, solid, definitive version of the TOS.  Both the features of the websites and the users' interaction will be constantly changing, and envisioning a thorough  regulatory framework is not easy.
Sometime I wish it would be possible to have legal conditions in BETA... which is basically what the following language is meant to be: "We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to change, modify, add, or delete portions of these Terms of Use at any time without further notice, provided that the Company will post the changes to these Terms of Use on this page and will indicate at the top of this page the date these terms were last revised. Your continued use of the Site after any such changes constitutes your acceptance of the new Terms of Use."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. Please remember to sign it!